Do you want to write and publish
a children’s book or young adult novel?
Learn exactly how you can make this dream come true from
#1 best-selling author Lisa McCourt!
Lisa’s Stinky Face series and other books have sold over 7.5 Million copies!
Now she wants to teach you how to make your dream
of becoming a published children’s or young adult author come true.
Three-Week Teleclass Series
Thursday Evening Sessions
August 3rd, August 10th, & August 17th
8 p.m. Eastern / 7 p.m. Central / 6 p.m. Mountain / 5 p.m. Pacific
Worldwide online access!
Call in or stream via your computer!
Each class is recorded so you can download & replay it even if you can’t attend the live session.
Early Bird Pricing (good through July 25th) $79
Late Registration (after July 25th) $99
Do you have a story for kids in your heart?
Are you ready to birth it into successful existence?
Join best-selling author and award-winning editor Lisa McCourt for this insight-packed course on writing children’s books. Whether you’re just starting out or have already had some publishing successes, you’ll learn everything you need to know to transform your story idea into a finished product ready for the right editor or agent.
Lisa will take you into the ever-changing world of children’s literature, guiding you to a clear understanding of today’s market needs and what will make your work stand out above the rest. Laced with quotes and advice from industry leaders, this course will provide the tools, insights, and step-by-step instructions to successfully craft the picture book, chapter book, middle-grade novel, or young-adult novel that’s been living inside you and wants to emerge.
A seasoned publishing professional, Lisa has written over three dozen children’s books that she’s published with Scholastic, HarperCollins, Penguin, Random House, McGraw Hill, and Health Communications, including I Love You, Stinky Face and its many sequels.
Together, Lisa’s books have sold over 7.5 million copies, been featured on Lifetime TV, Fox News, CNN, and PBS, won 7 publishing awards, garnered praise from over 200 reviewers, and been translated into 11 languages. In 2018, Scholastic will publish another addition to Lisa’s wildly popular line!
This 3-part course will not only delve into the psychology and habits of a successful writing life, but will cover nuts-and-bolts concerns in easy to follow sections with specific exercises.
Class #1 – Generating Ideas for Picture Books & Children’s Books
- Where do ideas come from?
- What makes an idea noteworthy?
- Is there really any such thing as a new idea?
- How do you get inspiration to visit more often?
- What do editors/agents say constitutes a good children’s book or picture book idea?
Class #2 – Children’s Book Characters
- How is every character considered some aspect of the author?
- How well do you need to know your characters?
- Why do you need to know your character better than your reader does?
- How do you create truly authentic characters?
- What do editors/agents say constitutes a good picture book character?
Class #3 – Plotting Your Children’s Book or Picture Book
- Seriously? A picture book needs a plot?
- What are the most successful kinds of story-problems for different levels of children’s literature?
- How do you generate story problems that are unique, yet have universal appeal?
- How do you generate satisfying solutions to your story problems?
- What do editors/agents say characterize good children’s book plots?
Plus… Lisa will allow time at the end of each class for Q&A, and she will discuss the “hows” of getting published in today’s publishing environment.