Self-Publishing and Book Marketing Workshop
with Randy Davila
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel
Newport Beach, CA
Saturday & Sunday ($395)
Saturday ONLY ($225)
Sunday ONLY ($225)
To take advantage of the Dinner With the Publishers private event, please add this option at check out
Regular Registration– (before July 16th) $395 for both days or $225/day
Late Registration (after July 16th or until the event is sold out)$445 for both days, $250/day
Dinner with the Publishers (a special private dinner event with Randy)- $195
Presented by Hampton Roads Publishing, Red Wheel/Weiser Books, Conari Press, & Hierophant Publishing.
Sponsored by Turning Stone Press
Have you written a book or are you planning to write one in the near future?
Are you considering self publishing?
Do you want to learn the steps necessary to turn your manuscript into a successful book?
Have you ALREADY self published a book and want to learn how to market it more effectively?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, we have a special learning event for you!
Join Randy Davila, President of Hierophant Publishing and Hampton Roads Publishing Company for a weekend workshop on the basics of self publishing AND book marketing.
This educational two day workshop is specifically designed for those who are planning to self publish or have already self published a book, and will be held at the luxurious Marriott Hotel in Newport Beach, California.
Randy is an executives at the publishing family of Hampton Roads Publishing Company, Red Wheel/Weiser Books, Conrai Press, and Hierophant Publishing. Books published by these companies have sold MILLIONS of copies! Join us for this educational workshop where Randy will share with you his secrets for book publishing and marketing success!
Day 1- From Manuscript to Book, The Creation Process
Saturday July 28th, 10AM-5PM (with a 1.5 hour break for lunch)
On the first day, the focus will be for those who are writing a book and want to understand HOW the book publishing industry works, and the steps required to self publish your book SUCCSEFULLY!
So many authors “dive in” to self publishing unprepared, without understanding the specific steps necessary to make a book successful. The result is poorly edited and poorly packaged books, ones that look, read, and scream-out “I’m self-published!”
In almost every case, these books don’t achieve the success the author intended, and often it’s not because the writing and ideas presented aren’t good, but rather that the author missed the BASIC but CRITICAL elements of the publishing process.
Here are some of the items that will be covered on Day 1, From Manuscript to Book, the Creation Process:
1) Writing and Editing – Understanding what READERS look for in a great book! Focus, Category, Voice, and more! Writing tips and common first time author mistakes to avoid. The vital role of an editor, the different types of editing, and how to find a great editor!
2) Book Packaging 101– The importance of a descriptive title, an eye-catching cover, and engaging back cover copy, plus tips for how to choose and create the best of each for your book.
3) The Book Creation Process– Understand the production steps in taking your work from manuscript to finished book, including ISBNs, copyright, LOC, permissions, etc., as well as understanding the business side of how the book trade works.
4) Steps to Self Publishing, an overview of Turing Stone Press, the self publishing imprint of Hampton Roads, Red Wheel/Weiser Books, Conari Press, and Hierophant, as well as a comparison of other self publishers, and the three most important financial considerations when choosing a self publisher.
5) Know your Hook book pitch exercise– present your title and book idea to Randy and receive feedback; put what they have taught you to the test! This is the most fun and educational portion of the day!
6) Time reserved for Q&A
Even if you have already self published your book, Day 1 can provide a wonderful opportunity to “self check” your work and get ideas for future books or even revisions to your current book!
Day 2- From Press to Success! How to market your book effectively in today’s publishing world!
Sunday July 29th, 10AM-5PM (with a 1.5 hour break for lunch)
Now that you have a book that READS and LOOKS great, it’s time to learn how to market it effectively! Randy will share with you steps the necessary steps that every author should take in order to spread the word about a book, as well as share specific sales, marketing, and public relations ideas for self published authors, including the specific marketing steps for some of his most successful titles!
Here are some of the items that will be covered in Day 2: From Press to Success, how to market your book effectively in today’s publishing world!
1) Author Platform– We will share with you the definition and metrics of a successful author platform, and provide specific steps on how you can build yours! This is by far the most important step you can take in making your book successful.
2) Getting your book noticed- How to get radio interviews, book signings, and other media outlets to cover your book. Also, we will share steps you can take to get your book into book stores and other ways that will increase the awareness of you and your message!
3) Press Release and online marketing– The basics of a good press release and how to write one, plus ideas for how to promote your book online and launch a “best seller” campaign.
4) Master your spoken word– How to talk about your book effectively in 2 minutes or less (its surprising how many first time authors aren’t able to do this!). This is SO important when it comes to doing radio and press interviews, speaking engagements, and other personal encounters where the goal is to move people to buy your book immediately!
5) The Author Business Model– specific strategies and examples on how you can increase revenues in addition to selling books (workshops, online courses, related products, etc), and how doing these things will in turn increase the sales of your book!
6) Time reserved for Q&A
In addition, we will have some SPECIAL SURPRISE GUESTS on Sunday afternoon who will share with you their experience for successful platform building.
Day 2 is a must for everyone! Randy will share with you why it is so important to build your author platform now, as the last thing you want to do is wait for your book to come out before you take this crucial step! Every author in attendance will learn why an effective marketing strategy is the key to getting your book noticed!!
Lastly, for those of you who want to know more about the traditional publishing process, you can join Randy on Saturday night July 28th, from 7pm-9pm, for a special “Dinner with the Publishers.” This limited seating event is $195 and includes a private dinner at the hotel.
We hope you will join us for this two day educational workshop at the beautiful Marriott hotel in Newport Beach, California.
The hotel has made a special rate of $189.00 available to those who register for the conference and wish to stay at the hotel (remember, booking a room at the hotel is not a requirement for attending this workshop, this is a courtesy rate only). You will receive an email with instructions on how to book this special rate after you register for the workshop.
See you in Newport Beach!!!
Regular registration, before July 16th– $395 for both days, or $225 per day
Late registration, After July 16th (or until event is sold out) – $445 for both days, $250 per day
Dinner with the Publishers- $195
Randy Davila is the author of The Gnostic Mystery and the President of Hierophant Publishing and Hampton Roads Publishing Company. Between the two publishing houses, he has overseen the publication of books by authors such as Eckhart Tolle, Byron Katie, Neale Donald Walsch, Richard Bach, Jack Canfield, and many, many, more.